Full SoW for Henrik Ibsen's 'A Doll's House' IBDP
This is a 266 slide scheme of work for the new English A: L&L IBDP course. This unit lasts between 7-9 weeks and covers a variety of different tasks and activities. The main focus is on the play ‘A Doll’s House’, however some stand alone non-literary tasks have been included to support the teaching of Paper 1. This is a very comprehensive scheme of work which covers historical and social context; critical reception; issues surrounding translation; form; style; and dramatic devices. Teaching also covers the key concepts and areas of exploration. Included is a 24 slide student workbook that supports the understanding and analysis of themes, characters, symbols, motifs and form.
Both the workbook and the marking resources come in an electronic format and can be typed into, which makes them ideal for online learning.
This scheme of work covers the following areas of teaching and learning:
- Use of modelling
- Use of Paper 2 criteria
- Close, group analysis of key scenes
- Group presentations
- Various types of group discussions
- Collaborative learning strategies
- Developing skills of analysis and interpretation
- Lessons that focus on embedding academic essay writing skills
- Guidance for approaching, understanding and analysing both literary and non-literary texts
- Example responses
- Paper 1 practice - stand alone non-literary. Various text types used. How to answer guides given.
- Focus on applying the areas of exploration
- Analysis of: themes, character, language, structure, form, symbols, motifs, setting, relationships
- Analysis of key scenes
- How to identify and comment on authorial choice and dramatic devices
- Various homework tasks: reading, research, essay questions
- Use of criteria and activities that help pupils to engage with the assessment criteria
- How to write a comparative essay
- How to write an essay focused on one text
- Self and peer assessment tasks